Monday, October 29, 2007

Teaching Ideas and Final Project

My teaching idea for this technology--I'm having trouble using the technology to add this idea to the wiki, however--is that I'd like students to create character monologues, in the form of podcasts, when we read The Crucible. We always look at character motivation when we read the play, but I think it would push them to explore the characters in more depth if they were writing a monologue and delivering it via podcast. I will first have students focus on one character and gather information about the character from the text. Next, students will work on filling in information about their characters that is not presented explicitly in the play. I will give them prompts to help them figure out exactly what their character would say in a monologue. Then, I will have students collaborate in reviewing each other's written monologues. Finally, we will hit the computer lab to create the podcasts, which of course will be added to the class blog/wiki.

As far as a final project, I am sticking with the idea of creating a wiki to help my students navigate our reader's choice unit next semester. I want students to create a very multi-modal final project for each novel. They will be working in groups and I'd like to set up a wiki so that they have a very organized way in which to participate in the final product. The final product will be required to have links to internet resources: images, videos, etc. They will also be required to have a podcast--possibly some type of character monologue again.

No comments: