Thursday, October 4, 2007

Digital Mapping

I think tools like Inspiration can be helpful with prewriting across the board. We do a lot with thinking maps (NUA) at my school, and inspiration can help students create thinking maps digitally. When we compare/contrast different literary characters, for example, we do not use Venn diagrams anymore--instead we use the NUA double bubble. Inspiration already has a template for a double bubble! My students just finished double-bubbling Holden from Catcher in the Rye, and Jim Starks from Rebel Without a Cause. This could have been done digitally with the use of a digital tool like inspirations. The great thing about this is that with inspiration, students can then post their maps to their blogs. This is a problem I've already noticed with my students and their blogs. We do quite a bit of mapping, but then we don't have the opportunity to post it to our blogs because we create the maps on paper only. As more and more of my class becomes digital, I want to find ways to digitize the writing that we already do.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Inspiration can definitely be useful with the NUA double bubble. I feel our district hasn't emphasized using inspiration with the NUA concept maps. I also like the idea of putting the inspiration map into student blogging....it's another opportunity to showcase their work and learn from each other.