Monday, December 3, 2007

Readability

I decided to look at websites from two different school districts. The first is my current employer, Edina Public Schools, and the second is the district through which I got my education, Hudson Schools. The Edina website is clear. There are menus that display as the mouse rolls over them. The font is clear, and I think it is very easy to comprehend and navigate. The Hudson website, however, is not as easy to read. There is so much going on that it is not as easy to find what you need. The menus require you to click on them and they take you to another page--not as convenient as Edina where the options are shown as you pass over the menu headings. The Hudson font is small, and there is simply too much of it all over the page. Each column reads from top to bottom, which I think is not as clear as it would be if the initial page read from left to right.

Simply requiring students to complete this activity of searching and comparing would help them see what is needed for readability. In the past, students have not responded to my "list" of requirements for powerpoint presentations. I think they really need to see examples of clear sites versus sites that are difficult to comprehend and use. If students are asked to view sites as if they have a specific purpose, they may be able to better understand readability needs. Often sites look interesting when they have a lot going on, but they can then be difficult to navigate.

No comments: